The Stoic Traveler

"Wherever I go, it will be well with me."

30 November 2007

Variations I

L.A.S. s.d. C.L.:

There is a new push, according to the New York Times today, to repeal the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"(DADT/10 U.S.C. ss 654) policy crafted by Gen. Colin Powell under President Clinton.

Good, great, grand: I'm all ready to apply to OCS when they do.

There's just one problem: the repeal would be empty.

Even if section 654 were altered, there would still be the problem of the UCMJ, Uniform Code of Military Justice, which makes sodomy a crime. Unless this provision is removed or in some way abrogated, which can only be done formally by act of Congress, a gay serviceman is still subject to criminal penalties. Of course, it would no longer be for being gay, just acting gay.

Sail the middle course, I suppose.

CUV

Seneca